Monday, June 05, 2006





IF I WERE A BUTTERFLY

By Richard E. Noble

If I were a butterfly, I could flap my wings, and fly from flower to flower...
Hour... upon hour ... upon hour.

But if I were a butterfly, I wouldn’t fly too high,
for I could get caught in the wind currents high in the sky.
And I wouldn’t fly over the ocean, for I’d never be able to rest.
If I sat in the water ... my wings would get wet.

But oh, how wondrous it would be, to fly from flower to flower,
Hour ... upon hour ... upon hour.

But if I were a butterfly, I couldn’t hop or skip or jump.
I couldn’t eat homemade soup or potato pancakes with sour cream
for my lunch.
I couldn’t sit in an easy chair by a log fire.
Or crawl into a warm bed when I want to retire.

BUT, IF I WERE A BUTTERFLY, I COULD FLY... from flower to flower?
Hour ... upon hour ... upon hour?

But I couldn’t drink, or think ... or talk with my friends.
Or hold hands, and walk in the park,
Or stay up all night and sit in the dark.
I couldn’t sing or dance or play
Or dream about a better day.
I couldn’t hope ... or care, or want, or dare

BUT I COULD FLY!! ... YES, I COULD FLY!
AND I COULD FLY FROM FLOWER TO FLOWER.
YES, AND I COULD FLY FROM FLOWER TO FLOWER
HOUR ... UPON HOUR ... UPON HOUR.

YES, YES!! I could fly from flower to flower, hour ... upon hour... upon hour!!
upon hour ... upon hour ... upon hour???

I COULD FLY... I COULD FLY!!

And then end up on the side of a road to die?
Or in a collector’s net? ... or pressed between the pages of a book?
Or under a microscope for someone to take a look?

I’d be so lovely, and so free
Everyone would want to get a hold of me.

Yes, if I were a butterfly, I could fly
But I couldn’t sigh or cry ... or even tell a lie.

If I were a butterfly, could a falling raindrop break my neck?

Oh, what the heck,
...MAYBE I COULD BE A BIRD!

No comments: